Saturday, July 10, 2010

2010 Chelan US Nationals

I've finally made it to the computer but am so very tired from a long race day. Today was day 1 of the US Nationals in Chelan, Washington. There are about 100 pilots competiting, with many pilots from other parts of the world here as well who came early before the World cup event here next week.

It was classic Chelan racing conditions with an 88 kilometer race to goal. We launched on the Chelan Butte and then crossed the Columbia River and raced across the flat lands towards Spokane. The thermals were plentiful, and it was a real fun day. There are some very strong visiting pilots flying here along with all the top US pilots as well. The pilot who won the day is the Ozone test pilot from France who helped develop and test the glider I'm flying! There are many of these gliders here and they are almost all the same color... it's very hard to tell who's who when flying! Next week everyone will have numbers so it will be much easier to tell who you're thermaling and racing with.

I was ok with my flying today - I was 6th into goal and just behind the others who came in ahead of me. I raced the whole race with most of them but somehow once again lost focus towards the end of the race and let myself get a bit behind. The good news is that when it comes to the glider, for the first time competiting, I feel like I'm on even ground with all other pilots. I've finally managed to get myself positioned on one of the very best performing gliders available, and so far it's treated me quite well. The glider commands much respect but if you do treat it like the souped up, tricked out racing machine that it is, it rewards you with amazing performance. When you get to cloudbase at 12,000 feet you can really go somewhere! It' a great time to be in the sport. This glider performs as well or better than some of the older hanggliders which is really something for fabric and string!

Must sleep! More wind tomorrow but were hoping to still be able to have a race. Monday looks "blown out" for sure as the jet stream is going to be coming right in overhead.

Jack

No comments: