Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Thanks Gin!


A few pics I took on a record cross country flight in Alaska this spring.


As expected, the organization here in Mungyeong was top notch. I'd like to thank Gin for making such an investment both in time and $ to insure everyone was looked after and exceptionally well fed. I know that personally, as my friend Bill was commenting, I was burning more calories ust eating the veggie sandwich on launch than I was storing from the ingredients themselves, but honestly, I think many of us could take a lesson from the Korean people and their diet. The food offered was “enough” along with the fruit, and although psychologically I had it in my mind that I needed more.... gotta load up on protein – the reality was that it was enough because it was good nutritious whole food – certainly not the norm for many of our diets these days. And come on, how often can you walk for 3 hours through a park in a constant flow of visitors, and never see anyone who is over weight?


Of course for me it's hard to be objective with the win under my belt, but I think the overall mood and attitude was surprisingly good considering the lousy run of weather.... and this we must attribute to the organization. I'm also so fortunate to have a life partner who is supportive of the paragliding mistress that latched on to me 11 years ago. I doubt I'll even see her in Lienz next month as I'm sure she'll be out doing the hut to hut or paddling down some river in her pack raft! And it seems as though we get plenty of nice time together at the comps during weather days when it doesn't always work out that way at home due to our busy work schedules.....


PWC Austria is next for a very high pilot quality warmup for the FAI worlds in Spain. The World champs is something I've always hoped to be able to fly in one day. I was starting to wonder if I'd have to become a Canadian citizen or move to Luxemburg! I'm proud to be joining Josh and Brad along with Jeff and Rob in Piedrahita! I hope to represent well and feel ready with the right glider and a good attitude....


In August I start working with a mechanic to finish the restoration of our Cessna 180 tail dragger which hasn't flown in many years. After 3 intense months of PWC and FAI worlds, I don't plan to compete again until the PWC Superfinal in Valle next January. I'm sure it will be painful knowing my friends are racing at the national comps in Utah and Texas, but honestly I'm excited looking forward to just being home in Alaska this late summer and fall and perhaps doing some XC at home where on a good day it's one of them most beautiful flights on the planet....

3 comments:

Dreamybee said...

Jack,
Sounds like you had a great time in Korea! I am heading there in July (hopefully with my new Sigma 8 in tow) and was wondering where you would recommend to fly? I am most likely going to be in Seoul, but may also travel to Deagu...for work and possibly play.

Do you have any POC's in Korea?

Not sure if you remember me, but this is Duck from Hawaii. My wife is Dreamybee (Ginger) and I do not have a gmail account.

Thanks

Dreamybee said...

Congrats on the win by the way!

Scot said...

Jack, My wife was in "Oklahoma" with you in h.s. (merry mccall) She would love to make contact with you. mambuel@hotmail.com
Thanks