Saturday, May 21, 2011

Task 2

The second task was again all about the wind. The winds had gone SW which is a difficult direction for the launch. After much skepticism and wondering if we would get a task, the winds shifted around more to the SE, and came in the backside which made for easy and quick launching for the entire field. The task was also built around the wind – keeping us lower and out of the stronger stuff, and in the local terrain as the downwind direction was off limits due to military airspace.


This race day was completely different than the first task, and was far more technical. At the start the gliders were very spread out, with the largest gaggle with many strong pilots more in front of launch to the North. The start cylinder was an entry and you had to continue to get the first turn point as well. It was across the valley to the west and somewhat into the wind. There were gliders heading for the start from several different directions and from a wide range of altitudes. Being an elapsed time race, I wasn't eager to mash on the bar from the get go and was more determined to be patient and let things develop a bit before I got too aggressive. Because of this I didn't enter the start cylinder until several minutes after the start time, but I was quite high and was able to fly accelerated all the way through the start cylinder to the first turn point, and then back much of the way across the valley towards launch before stopping to climb. I lost focus somewhat at that point as apparently many of the lead gaggle which had started a few K from me had run into huge sink after the first turn point and never recovered. Some turned around and went back to the terrain and were able to stay in the race. I remember watching a large gaggle racing hard for the first turn point but just plain lost track of the entire group!! I was also momentarily distracted by an R10 well below me who took a big whack and recovered, but too late to avoid a scary high speed pendulum into the trees. He was a banged up a bit but nothing serious, and ended up suspended from the branches 2 meters above the ground.

For whatever reason, many of us had a pretty easy time making it back across the valley to launch where the conditions were the strongest of the day. I remember bailing out of one climb because it was too rough, but turning around and driving right back in for another round. I was nice and high and I wanted to get higher before I headed into the wind for the next leg. At this point the high filter thickened quite a bit and toned down the day big time. This forced a major downshift of gears and it was easy to spot several gliders suddenly low and racing to the dirt! I grabbed the next turnpoint and then headed well off the course line, almost 90 degrees, to a large ridge which was ridge soarable and sustainable. Here I joined Lucas and some other strong pilots but wasn't able to hang with them. They caught a small thermal when I was soaring further down the ridge and were able to drift up and away somewhat with it, but it didn't pan out and they just ended up more downwind before the next glide. They left on glide across the city to a large climbing ridge and the next point which looked quite difficult given the reduced heat energy now coming through the high clouds. A tough decision to go with them but lower followed. I managed to find a more buoyant line then they and joined up with them very low on the next ridge. Here we spent about half an hour slowly working our way gradually higher and higher up the ridge and to the higher mountain behind. We got the turnpoint, and then the high cloud filter started thinning at the same time. For the first time I thought we might make the goal. I also knew my elapsed time was good as I'd caught up to those who had started well before me.

The rest of the course was easy as long as you were patient and didn't push on ahead low as some pilots discovered. I managed to get more of the final thermal than the others and was again in a great position to win the day. Again I was showing a 7:1 glide and 300m over the goal – much more than I needed, but wanted to make sure I would make it. I was much above Lucas before the final glide but let him go ahead of me! Still confidence issues!! I knew there were some strong south winds coming out of the valleys and I didn't want to get a last minute drilling and land short!! This is something I must work on! As it was, I was plenty high, and after the end of speed section I flew into some nice sink and spiraled down but almost too far as I just barely flew across the line!!

This was a difficult and very technical task and many excellent pilots landed early. I know the frustration factor was through the roof but was glad I'd made good decisions and flew the race on my terms without being influenced by any gaggles. The points for the day were devalued because so many pilots landed early. All in all a very fun flying day. I love mashing the bar for one kilometer after another with the vario singing in a strong convergence where it's all going up, but I also always enjoy the challenge when it's more than just seeing how fast you can go from climb to climb or through abundant lift....

3 comments:

Reavis said...

Thanks for the in depth writeup and congratulations on your win!

Tim said...

Great flying Jack - Your commitment has resulted in great success! I hope every "new" R10 pilot reads your advice on launch techniques.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jack,
Congrats on your success. On high wind launches: What do you see working the best when you get plucked into the air: Stay facing the wing and flying the wing away from the hill or, turning quickly and then flying the wing away from the hill?
Thanks
BK