Saturday, January 22, 2011

Roldanillo Final task

Seems I was bound and determined to finish what I had started here in Roldanillo 2 weeks ago in proper fashion. I've never been more confident in knowing what I must do to be competitive in such a strong field. Never have I had such magnificent training and opportunity to hone the skills necessary to up my ranking. Never have I been in such a wild ride of mental conflict in skill versus execution! Everything I need I have. Everything I need to know has been demonstrated to me numerous times here in Roldanillo. I couldn't ask for better mentoring, a better glider, a better field to race with - it's all been here and given freely. I don't usually keep a diary or record of my competition flying, but after this experience I am putting it down on paper as this was the ultimate training session and I simply mustn't let it's content drift away. I don't know if I'll be able to execute and progress, or stagnate and fade away. I do know that I have all the pieces of the puzzle within my grasp!

Day 6 was yet again another spectacular flying day. Again my goal was to be a team player and see if I could hang with the gaggle. I started strongly and ended up nicely positioned with the lead gaggle, turning with all kinds of great pilots and heading out on the course line sitting beautifully. Once again, it was a frustratingly easy choice for me to leave the lead gaggle and forge out on my own - chasing a big climb off the course line. Once again the synergistic strength of the strong pilots working together was able to easily overcome any strategic move I thought I might be making, and even though I found a nice climb to base, I was immediately behind once again, with an almost impossible chance to catch up. I made a valiant effort, and was almost successful at the third turnpoint, but the lead gaggle was just too fast and strong, brilliantly getting centered in each climb quickly and efficiently.....

Another day of non-stop smiles at goal with many pilots, along with myself, enjoying one of the best weeks of racing in their flying careers! The Colombian people, especially those in the outlying areas, were so free flowing with hospitality and genuine good will, that it begs one to want to return and do it again. What a contrast to Valle de Bravo where more often than not it's become all about getting more and more $ from the gringos any time and any place that they can - a sad evolution at a great flying site that hopefully won't be repeated in Roldanillo.

The food here is great and the accommodations are a nice 2 star- I'm not aware of anyone either last year or this who experienced any stomach issues from the food or water. Breakfast includes a daily large bowl of cutup fresh juicy papaya or mixed fruits along with scrambled eggs with ham and onions, bread, and a great big glass of fresh squeezed OJ.... all for about 3 bucks. I've had excellent pizza, lasagna, top sirloin steak/potatoes/veggies, nice salads, and one of the best "hamberguesa" creations I've ever eaten from a street vendor....

Because the PWC rules only allow 6 days of flying if they are all fully valid, which they were, the 7th day - Saturday - is a free day for flying, shopping, or R & R. I chose the R & R! after 44 hours of flying over the past 2 weeks. There was a big party last night with all you can drink for only 15,000 Colombian pesos (about $8). I passed as I was afraid that the French pilots would all get too drunk and beat me up!! Honestly though, I just wasn't feeling it for drinking and socializing....

Tonight is the awards party and then a painfully early getup at 3am for a 7am departure from Periera... I finished in the 20s, and am happy with the whole thing considering the invaluable experience I've gained. I wished I'd had a better finish as it would have brought more WPRS points to our nation's ranking and maybe helped get a 4th position at the FAI Worlds this summer. As it was it looks like we should improve from our 10th place Nations position with Nick and Josh finishing so strongly.....

5 comments:

Brad Sander said...

Hi Jack, just found your blog, i like your writing style, thanks for posting
Brad

Chrissi Maria said...

Definitely a place I would like to fly at if the opportunity should arise!

Tim said...

Great post Jack. You've made an amazing effort and done the work necessary to improve to the level you have. Nice Flying.

Seeya this Summer.

Tim

Unknown said...

Always great to hear your thoughts Jack. Thanks for the insights. Zak

Technician 101 said...

The location of a person will affect his or her dental assistant salary in Alaska. To illustrate further, here are 3 of the biggest cities in the state together with their average salaries. http://techniciansalary.net/dental-assistant-salary-in-alaska/